CEIOPS organised on 18 November 2009 its 5th Annual Conference, a key part of policy of transparency and consultation.
This year’s Conference provided more than 300 attendants with an excellent programme as well as with the opportunity to hear from some of the most experienced and respected figures in the field of European financial supervision.
Building on the success of previous CEIOPS Conferences, this year’s event has offered supervisors and stakeholders the opportunity to discuss and exchange views on the latest developments relevant for the insurance and pension funds sectors as well as key insight as to the future architecture of financial supervision in Europe.
As announced in the Conference programme, the CEIOPS event was opened by its newly elected Chair and has benefited form the attendance of 2 keynote speakers:
- Mr. Jean-Claude Trichet - President of the European Central Bank and member of the Board of Directors of the Bank for International Settlements. In his speech, the ECB President adressed financial stability issues and the role of insurance and occupational pension undertakings in the current financial context and the reform of the supervisory architecture for the EU financial sector.
- Mr. Jacques de Larosière - Chairman of the High-Level Group on Financial Supervision mandated by the European Commission to give advice on the future of European financial regulation and supervision. Mr. de Larosière presented his views on the follow-up to the Report issued by the High Level Group on Financial Supervision earlier this year.
Throughout CEIOPS’ event 3 panels have been organised offering stakeholders a forum where to put forward their opinions as to the challenges faced today by both supervisors and stakeholders:
- Panel no. 1: "Solvency II – A winning recipe?"
- Panel no. 2: "Occupational pensions – a year in perspective"
- Panel no. 3: "3L3 Convergence from crisis"
CEIOPS is also making available to interested stakeholders a comprehensive overview of the discussions held in each of these panels.